What Can Cause A False Positive For Opiates?
What Can Cause A False Positive For Opiates? There has always been much disagreement between drug test manufacturers, companies providing drug tests and the public that must take drug tests as to the validity of false positive drug tests for Opiates.
- The Drug Test Manufacturers. The manufacturers suggest publicly that a false positive for Opiates is a rare occurrence and is almost never caused by their products. However, if you dig hard enough, they all seem to have peer only publications called “Cross Reaction Guides“. These Cross reaction guides list medications that can cause either non-reaction (have no effect) or are reactive (you fail) to specific drugs, medications, vitamins, herbs or foods. As an example, if you take Dristan Cough Formula, which some “Cross Reactive Guides” say is reactive to an Opiate drug test, you could test positive for Opiates use.
- The Companies Providing The Drug Testing. The testing companies say that their procedures leave very little chance of a false positive for Opiates. Using the above example, you just failed for Opiates use even though you take the very legal and common Dristan Cough Formula. You have now failed because of a false positive for Opiates. Both the drug test manufacturers and the people giving the test say the chances of a false positive for Opiates use is almost impossible. Therefore, you must prove yourself innocent. The testers do not need to do anything. Some testers are very helpful and some are not. You must handle your false positive drug test situation carefully to turn it around.
- The Public. We are stuck with proving our innocence. We know it can happen. We have just experienced a false positive for Opiates. There are real world examples which prove beyond a shadow of a doubt false positives happen. Do an internet search of drug testing manufacturers and drug testing companies. They all say emphatically one cannot fail a drug test for Opiates by just eating a few Poppy Seed Bagels or some Poppy Seed Bread. They say it cannot happen.
- The TV Show “MythBusters” Proved Them All Wrong. The TV Show “MythBusters” took them to task by testing scientifically if this was true or not. The proof is in the show. MythBusters proved You Can Fail A Drug Test For Opiates By Eating Poppy Seed Products. Another example of a false positive drug test for Opiates is the U.S Library Of Medicine generated an article entitled “One Hundred False-Positive Opiates Specimens“. This example clearly shows that a false positive for Opiates in not a person’s only worry.
- How Do You Beat The System? If you fail a drug test and should you choose (we will not condone this action), you could identify the drug you failed for (as an example Opiates). Could purchase Dristan Cough Formula (A possible cross reactant on some drug tests as Opiates) and tell the testers you were taking this medication and maybe took too much. You could let them conclude that the Dristan Cough Formula might have caused the failure and let you slide. Again, we cannot recommend this. You are on your own if you choose this avenue.
- Please Note: A false positive drug test for any specific sample does not necessarily cause a false positive reaction every time, nor with every drug test. There are many variables that need to be taken into consideration.
What Is A False Positive Drug Test?
What Is A False Positive Drug Test? The definition of a false positive drug test is when you fail a drug test and have not used the drug you tested positive for on that drug test. This “False Positive” is caused by caused by hundreds of products that are wrongly identified as illegal drugs or other drugs of concern. Common prescriptions, over the counter medications, herbs, vitamins or even foods can cause you a false positive drug test.
About 5% Of All People Fail Their Test, Are Not Guilty And Must Then Prove Their Innocence. WebMD.com says between 5 – 10% of people will fail due to a false positive drug test.
This Is The Industries Dirty Little Secret. There has been many a person who failed a drug test with no clue as to why and with little or no recourse to prove their innocence. If you fail due to a false positive drug test result you must prove yourself innocent. The testers do not need to do anything. Some testers are very helpful and some are not. You must handle your false positive drug test situation carefully to turn it around.
Yes, This Is Real. This Data Comes From The Industries Own Internal Documentations. Always Test Clean has assembled the most comprehensive list of what can cause a false positive drug test. Based upon the testers own internal documents which they call “Cross-Reactivity Guides”. NOTE: The products that can cause a false positive drug test do not necessarily cause one every time, nor with every drug test. There are many variables that need to be taken into consideration.
How To Dispute A False Positive Opiates Drug Test
Your First Step Is To Frankly Talk To Your Employer. Act very surprised you have failed. Do not be overly aggressive. Many drug testing companies and programs have a medical officer or someone else designated to speak to employees about drug testing results. Find out who you should speak to and schedule an appointment right away. Bring all of the medications and supplements you are currently taking. Be prepared to give details about dosages and amounts.
Something You Have Taken May Be A Known False Positive Trigger. Particularly if your employer has contracted with an experienced laboratory. There should be an easy way to find out whether your drug test result can be traced to specific drugs, medications, vitamins, herbs or foods that could be considered a cross reactive.
The Test Might Not Have Been Administered Correctly. There is a good possibility there was a mistake on the first test. You might want to quickly ask for a second test to be administered or even a different kind of drug test be administered. A common drug testing protocol is to divide the test sample into two portions, testing one immediately and saving the other for a retest, in case of a contested positive result. In this case, simply ask for a retest of your sample. This can be problematic and you might want to ask for a completely new test be administered.
When It Is Time To Seek Legal Advice. If your employer for some reason doesn’t believe your explanation of the positive result and your retest comes up positive again, it’s time to talk to an experienced employment lawyer about the best way to protect your rights. Always Test Clean provides the information to identify Legal Advice With Drug Testing Experience in your area.
Drug Testing Rules Vary From State To State. Some states have adopted required appeal or testing procedures for employers who test for drugs. Always Test Clean provides comprehensive information on “What Is A False Positive Drug Test?“.
Now – Choose The Drug Test You Will Face
Rely On The Information You Can Trust
Always Test Clean Has Generated The Most Comprehensive List Of False Positive Reactives To This Time. Should you care to view this list (It is rather large and complex), just Click “Master Drug Cross Reactants Guide“. This list documents 1,017 specific drugs, medications, vitamins, herbs or foods that can cause a variety of false positive drug tests. This list was generated from 66 Manufacture’s and Tester’s Documents, as well as other sources that one can consider reliable.
What Can Cause A False Positive For Opiates?
118 Reactants That Can Cause A False Positive For Opiates.
- Amogel PG
- Capital Or Codeine Oral Solution
- Cipro XR
- Codafen Continus
- Codeine Linctus
- Codeine Phosphate
- Cold Remedies with Dextromethorphan
- Doco Children’s Cough Syrup
- Donnagel -PG
- Dristan Cough Formula
- Empirin w/Codeine
- Estasule Minus
- Hold Cough Suppressant
- InfanTol Pink
- Koalin Or Morphine Mixture
- Liver Disease
- Morphine Sulfate
- Paracetamol with Codeine
- Pediatric BP
- Poppy Seeds
- Proquin XR
- Purim Cookies
- Quinine in Tonic Water
- Remedeine Forte
- Robitussin DM
- St. Joseph’s Cough Syrup
- Strong BP
- Theophylline Calcium Glycinate
- Tylenol 3
- Tylenol 4
- Tylenol with Codeine
- Vicks Cough Syrup
- Vicks Formula 44M